Saturday, January 19, 2013

Why crucify why can't God just forgive?


I just watched the movie Stigmata today and it really got me thinking. For those who do not know stigmata is when “Jesus like” afflictions or wounds present themselves on the body without a logical explanation.  These wounds would be the thorn like cuts around the head, holes through the wrists and feet, whip marks on the back and finally the spear through the side. I also learned that during Jesus’ time they crucified people by nailing them through their wrists, not their hands. So, most pictures of crucified Jesus are wrong. Famous Holy men reported to have such markings are St. Francis of Assisi year 1214 and Pio of Pietrelcina in the early 1900’s. These markings are said to remind people of why Jesus died.

 I did a little research on it and discovered why the Virgin Mary crying blood is significant to stigmata. This is said to be directly related to the stigmata because she gave up her son for our sins. Sometimes we forget that and lose sight of God and Jesus Christ. Jesus died for our sins so we are forgiven. So, we should use that as our one “get out of jail free card” and be good for ever and ever, amen.

I find this rather interesting. For two reasons, one being that the word for given back in the time of Jesus didn’t mean I forgive mistake. For example, if you say something hurtful and mean to your mother and afterwards you realized you were being cruel you would say, “I’m sorry”. She in turn would respond with, “It’s okay I forgive you”. This is how we use the word today. In fact during Biblical times it was used rather as another form of the word “write-off”. For example, when you go to the emergency room and you get a bill and it’s thousands of dollars. Say you pass away before being able to finish paying it off. That would be considered forgiven debt. It was in fact that way that God means “forgiven”.

What I don’t understand is that if Jesus was God’s only son, then why would he sacrifice him for us? Why not just forgive us and allow Jesus to continue with his teachings? Probably because the reason Jesus was crucified to begin with was because of the law back then. But still why not save his son who apparently did nothing wrong and just forgive us? Was it to teach us a lesson? Because the only lesson I can try and fathom is that even if you follow the word of God and do everything exactly how God would won’t it, you’re screwed anyways. Another lesson I can understand from the crucifixion is that don’t worry about what you do because it doesn’t matter how many times you sin. God forgives because Jesus has already paid for your debt.

Personally I don’t believe in this religious stuff, but I have a feeling that if I had, I wouldn’t really understand any of this crap. I think that maybe next time the lessons and teachings we’re supposed to take away from these stories should be a little clearer. Thanks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment